[GTALUG] systemd: prctl: add PR_{SET, GET}_CHILD_SUBREAPER was Re: Did I buy the wrong network card? (RTL8812AE)

Russell rreiter91 at gmail.com
Wed May 17 21:44:43 EDT 2017

I'm top posting this information in the general interest, as I didn't truly get full persistence with the instructions I posted previously.

I was ok for a soft reboot however, due to my particular situation, with neighborhood power outages coming up, I finally bought a UPS. When I rebooted the system this time Dbus couldn't connect the dots.

I removed saned at .service & saned.socket from /lib/systemd/system/saned.service and rebooted.

So considering all the other experiential outcomes I had read previously, jiggling color tanks etc. It looks like I'm facing an old nemisis ... colord - the neutral palate on which all else is drawn.

There is missing Metadata
No OwnerCmdline= for the scanner.

Here's how that went.

root at HECTOR:~# systemctl status colord.service
● colord.service - Manage, Install and Generate Color Profiles
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/colord.service; static)
   Active: active (running) since Wed 2017-05-17 07:22:17 EDT; 12h ago
 Main PID: 939 (colord)
   CGroup: /system.slice/colord.service
           └─939 /usr/lib/colord/colord

May 17 18:42:14 HECTOR colord[939]: device removed: sysfs-Canon-MG2500_series
May 17 18:42:14 HECTOR colord[939]: (process:5296): CdSane-WARNING **: fail...es
May 17 18:42:19 HECTOR colord[939]: Device added: sysfs-Canon-MG2500_series
May 17 18:42:48 HECTOR colord[939]: device removed: sysfs-Canon-MG2500_series
May 17 18:42:50 HECTOR colord[939]: Device added: sysfs-Canon-MG2500_series
May 17 18:43:07 HECTOR colord[939]: device removed: sysfs-Canon-MG2500_series
May 17 18:43:09 HECTOR colord[939]: Device added: sysfs-Canon-MG2500_series
May 17 18:43:43 HECTOR colord[939]: device removed: sysfs-Canon-MG2500_series
May 17 18:43:43 HECTOR colord[939]: (process:5465): CdSane-WARNING **: fail...es
May 17 18:50:08 HECTOR colord[939]: Device added: sysfs-Canon-MG2500_series
Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.

Tried the authors alias.

ps xawf -eo pid,user,cgroup,args

  926 root     4:devices:/system.slice/pol /usr/lib/policykit-1/polkitd --no-debug
  939 colord   4:devices:/system.slice/col /usr/lib/colord/colord

Ahaa, what's colord saying about the profiles.

root at HECTOR:~# colormgr get-devices
Object Path:   /org/freedesktop/ColorManager/devices/cups_MG2500_series
Owner:         root
Created:       May 17 2017, 11:27:16 AM
Modified:      May 17 2017, 11:27:17 AM
Type:          printer
Enabled:       Yes
Embedded:      No
Model:         Canon MG2500 series
Vendor:        Canon
Serial:        B2090E&interface=1
Format:        ColorModel.MediaType.Resolution
Scope:         temp
Colorspace:    rgb
Device ID:     cups-MG2500-series
Profile 1:     MG2500-series-RGB..
Profile 2:     MG2500-series-Gray..
Metadata:      OwnerCmdline=/usr/sbin/cupsd -f

Object Path:   /org/freedesktop/ColorManager/devices/sane_Canon_PIXMA_MG2500_Series
Owner:         colord
Created:       May 17 2017, 10:20:11 PM
Modified:      May 17 2017, 10:20:11 PM
Type:          scanner
Enabled:       Yes
Embedded:      No
Model:         Canon PIXMA MG2500 Series
Vendor:        CANON
Serial:        pixma:04A9176D_B2090E
Scope:         normal
Colorspace:    rgb
Device ID:     sane-Canon PIXMA MG2500 Series
Metadata:      OwnerCmdline=

Possible bug?
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-color-manager-list/2011-December/msg00003.html

Well on Ubuntu there is this.

avahi_simple_poll_prepare

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sane-backends/+bug/1351286

I've never heard Lennart Potterling speak, but right now I hear him in my head, in the voice of the Bandito from High Sierra, as he's saying ... POSIX we don't need no stinking POSIX.

--
Russell
Sent by K-9 Mail