[GTALUG] Atmel Microprocessor Programming, Talk and Paper attached

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 13:08:10 EDT 2017

Atmel chips are quite commonly used these days as keyboard
controllers; QMK is a firmware management system being used for a
bunch of keyboards.
See: <https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware>, and, for a list of
keyboards supported, see
<https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/tree/master/keyboards>  My wee
bit of "bragging rights" in there is that my keymap for my Planck
keyboard is in the codebase
<https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/tree/master/keyboards/planck/keymaps/cbbrowne>

The authors are using C rather than assembler; I'm not sure there's
any really big "why" there aside from historical inertia.  I'd be
quite interested to see what the keymaps would look like in assembler.
I observe that most of the "code" consists of 2-dimensional arrays of
keymaps.

At any rate, the toolchain parallels that which Peter is using; for
those that would prefer to use GCC, I'll toss this in.

Crucial build tools are commonly "native" parts of
Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora these days:

# apt-get install gcc unzip wget zip gcc-avr binutils-avr avr-libc
dfu-programmer dfu-util gcc-arm-none-eabi binutils-arm-none-eabi
libnewlib-arm-none-eabi

Some interesting authoritative links:
https://dfu-programmer.github.io/
http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/