[GTALUG] Atmel Microprocessor Programming, Talk and Paper attached

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 21:41:46 EDT 2017

On 2017-03-15 01:08 PM, Christopher Browne via talk wrote:

>https://dfu-programmer.github.io/

Since you're working with USB keyboards on the Planck, you'll likely be
using an ATMega32U. This is a variant of the µc used in the Arduino that
adds direct USB support. DFU's the main programming tool for the USB
Atmel chips. I *think* you can use avrdude with the 'U ATMegas too.

For tiny cheap projects I rather like the ATTiny167, built into boards
like the Digispark Pro <http://digistump.com/products/109>. It talks USB
directly too.

As Peter said, the Atmel processors need very little interfacing, and
can be run directly from the breadboard, as in the ShrimpingIt
<http://start.shrimping.it/> project. I started building a barebones
board, but it got a bit luxe with an expensive LDO regulated power
supply and other features: https://www.flickr.com/photos/scruss/30298881645

While the Atmel chips do have a great opcode set, I've mostly programmed
them in C, and will admit that generally the Wiring/Arduino language
does me well. Lower level embedded C always looks like a mess of ports
and bit masking to me, and doesn't flow as a high level language. "Make:
AVR Programming" by Elliot Williams is a decent book on non-Arduino AVR
C development

cheers,
 Stewart