[GTALUG] SAP ISO SR26000:20010 - listserv etiquitte was: for any hardware gurus

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Fri Jul 28 14:29:51 EDT 2017

​As someone who, as a member of the Standards Council of Canada was part of
the Canadian delegation to the ISO on file formats (fighting to keep them
unencumbered, FWIW) I am intrigued at the reference to ​ISO 26000.

> In fact everyone who is employed should know this. This is why I included
> the SAP ISO. Canada is a first signer of this protocol. Clause 7 addresses
> volunteerism.

Hmm.
​
ISO 26000 is neither a protocol nor a standard, you can't get certified to
be compliant with it
<http://www.sustainableplant.com/2011/there-s-no-such-thing-as-iso-26000-certification/>.
It is targeted at large organizations, not people or governments.

What ISO 26000 *is* is a 100-page document from ISO that will cost you 200
Swiss Francs <https://www.iso.org/standard/42546.html> to purchase the
ebook. What it contains are guidelines and best practices for large
organizations to tell them what it means to be "socially responsible". I am
at a disadvantage in not knowing what Clause 7 includes because I'm not
spending more than $250 to read ISO take 100 pages to say "please don't be
a corporate dick and treat people with respect".

SAP is a German database company, it might be embracing ISO 26000 but it
certainly has nothing to do with the general deployment

Since there is no standard and no protocol -- just a set of optional
recommendations -- I am eager to know more about the level of Canadian
government endorsement, and specifically what laws and regulations have
been affected.

​To address the more pertinent issue....​

​There are plenty of codes of conduct that may be more directly applicable​
in our context, my current favourite is the Creators Covenant
<http://contributor-covenant.org/> that addresses behavior within
communities working on open source projects. (Just replace "project
maintainers" with "forum adminsitrators".)

But please let's not drag the ISO into this, it won't provide the comfort
being sought simply because of its extra levels of bureaucracy. It
expressly claims no authority, just suggestion.

​Cheers,
Evan
​