[GTALUG] SAP ISO SR26000:20010 - listserv etiquitte was: for any hardware gurus

Myles Braithwaite 👾 me at mylesb.ca
Fri Jul 28 10:17:04 EDT 2017

On 2017-07-28 09:50, Russell via talk wrote:
> This subject is mostly for the list maintainers as it is in fact
> related to the list policy.

I'm the list maintainer, :wave:.

> It can get tiresome to have people send me private emails at the
> address they have harvested from this list. Social responsibility
> dictates that I have a process I may follow, albeit a voluntary one.
>
> In general if you have sent me a private email:
>
> You are not a troll; if you are on the list and I reply in kind
> without mentioning the word troll.
>
> If you are a troll, I told you that. I told you that because, you
> don't know the first rules of online etiquette.

I 100% agree. When I reply to an email on a mailing list I except that
conversation to stay on the mailing list.

But this was most likely done as a mistake as some email clients
clicking the reply will only populate the sender's email not the list's
email (in those email clients the proper way to reply to the list is
clicking the reply-all button).

This list was configured that way to satisfy Outlook.com and Yahoo email
servers DMARC/DKIM policies, that have been affect most mailing list
setup on the Internet.

I don't want to get into it more as it's been heavily documented on the
mailing list:

<https://gtalug.org/pipermail/talk/2016-June/003326.html>

<https://gtalug.org/pipermail/talk/2017-March/004659.html>