[GTALUG] SAP ISO SR26000:20010 - listserv etiquitte was: for any hardware gurus

Russell rreiter91 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 16:04:19 EDT 2017

On July 28, 2017 2:29:51 PM EDT, Evan Leibovitch <evan at telly.org> wrote:
>​As someone who, as a member of the Standards Council of Canada was
>part of
>the Canadian delegation to the ISO on file formats (fighting to keep
>them
>unencumbered, FWIW) I am intrigued at the reference to ​ISO 26000.
>

>> In fact everyone who is employed should know this. This is why I
>included
>> the SAP ISO. Canada is a first signer of this protocol. Clause 7
>addresses
>> volunteerism.
>>

>Hmm.
>>ISO 26000 is neither a protocol nor a standard, you can't get certified
>be compliant with it
><http://www.sustainableplant.com/2011/there-s-no-such-thing-as-iso-26000-certification/>.

I wasn't indicating certification but understanding.

>It is targeted at large organizations, not people or governments.

Ahh ... the advantages of non certification, from a business perspective; you only have to follow the protocol guidance of Social Responsibilities if you want to.

>What ISO 26000 *is* is a 100-page document from ISO that will cost you
>200
>Swiss Francs <https://www.iso.org/standard/42546.html> to purchase the
>ebook. What it contains are guidelines and best practices for large organizations to tell them what it means to be "socially responsible".

No there is a section for SMB's Small and Medium Business. In addition Clause 7 addresses voulnteerisim.

Social Responsibility is everyones business, or not, depending on your point of view.

>I am at a disadvantage in not knowing what Clause 7 includes because I'm not spending more than $250 to read ISO take 100 pages to say "please don't be a corporate dick and treat people with respect".

Perhaps you would understand my Clause 7 point better if you look up the open source images and blurbs in google. Although I didn't read anything about dicks, corporate or other. :-)

Or I could, as fair use policy for this volunteer initiative,  say "following the guidance of SR26000 I will print out a copy of my 2010 draft copy". The people who gave it to me won't mind if I share it, thats what they sent it to me for.

>SAP is a German database company, it might be embracing ISO 26000 but it certainly has nothing to do with the general deployment

SAP is an acronym which I learned as an element of First Order Reliability Methods. Standardly Applied Protocols, as intrepreted under ISO standards, has nothing to do with a german database company who have co opted the otherwise military acronym.

>Since there is no standard and no protocol -- just a set of optional
>recommendations -- I am eager to know more about the level of Canadian government endorsement, and specifically what laws and regulations have been affected.

Well Canada proselytized its endorsement and signed the declarations in 2010. Remember this is a collection of descriptor/protocols used for creating understanding of what was designated CSR but has been expanded to include NGO's and other organization and groups of volunteers.

>​To address the more pertinent issue....​
>
>​There are plenty of codes of conduct that may be more directly
>applicable​
>in our context, my current favourite is the Creators Covenant
><http://contributor-covenant.org/> that addresses behavior within
>communities working on open source projects. (Just replace "project
>maintainers" with "forum adminsitrators".)
>
>But please let's not drag the ISO into this, it won't provide the
>comfort
>being sought simply because of its extra levels of bureaucracy. It
>expressly claims no authority, just suggestion.

All ISO documents are made as suggestions, thats why they are initialised as RFC. There is no enforcement mechanisim, only adoption or rejection of the principles by any given group.

--
Russell
Sent by K-9 Mail