[GTALUG] mysterious restarts

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Sun Jun 26 12:14:18 EDT 2016

On 06/26/2016 11:46 AM, Russell Reiter wrote:

> On Jun 26, 2016 10:52 AM, "James Knott" <james.knott at rogers.com
> <mailto:james.knott at rogers.com>> wrote:
> >
> <snip>
> > 126V on top of the input DC voltage.  That will destroy the regulator
> > and possibly whatever is being charged.  So, you will need some means of
> > ensuring the regulator is not exposed to damaging high voltage.
>
> I liked that he showed the work as a site case. He didn't say your
> mileage may vary, but it's implied in the way he demonstrated the
> concept.
>
> Probably it's best done by the un-initiated on a dry loop. Or are you
> saying that a dry loop provides significantly less power for VOIP?

I don't know what power is provided on dry loops, but I believe there's
still "battery" on the line.  On a regular phone line, if the device
draws enough current, the exchange will consider the line "seized" and
not send ringing current on it.  If not enough current is drawn, then
ringing is possible.

> I don't know for sure myself. I always assume the last quarter mile is
> analog, but that may have changed for newer condo and residential home
> development.

What's generally referred to as the "last mile" can be anything from
right next door to several kilometres.  For examples, in an apartment I
used to rent, the exchange was just a block away.  Here, a couple of
blocks.  When I was a kid, growing up in Oakville, it was about 3-4 Km
and it may be much further elsewhere.

BTW, many years ago, before amplifiers, it was possible to make a call
from New York to Colorado, before it became too weak.