[GTALUG] mysterious restarts

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 09:12:57 EDT 2016

On Jun 26, 2016 12:14 PM, "James Knott via talk" <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
<snip>
> I don't know what power is provided on dry loops, but I believe there's
> still "battery" on the line.  On a

You put the word battery in quotes. Perhaps you mean a Rogers valve? I
think that's how the patent names it. When I was a kid every corner store
had a tube tester for DIY repairs.

Anecdotally I remember CFRB as Canada's First Rogers Battery?

The Rogers valve was what allowed a radio to run on home current.

regular phone line, if the device
> draws enough current, the exchange will consider the line "seized" and
> not send ringing current on it.  If not enough current is drawn, then
> ringing is possible.
>
> > I don't know for sure myself. I always assume the last quarter mile is
> > analog, but that may have changed for newer condo and residential home
> > development.
> >

> What's generally referred to as the "last mile" can be anything from
> right next door to several kilometres.  For examples, in an apartment I
> used to rent, the exchange was just a block away.  Here, a couple of
> blocks.  When I was a kid, growing up in Oakville, it was about 3-4 Km
> and it may be much further elsewhere.
>
> BTW, many years ago, before amplifiers, it was possible to make a call
> from New York to Colorado, before it became too weak.

Wow you look a lot younger in your picture. :-)