[GTALUG] Cheap 4k TV That Can be Used as a Monitor

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Jun 24 11:58:54 EDT 2016

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 09:03:22PM -0400, CLIFFORD ILKAY via talk wrote:
> The Canadian Tire flyer has a 43" Seiki 4k UltraHD Smart TV (while
> quantities last - sorry no rainchecks, which usually means, forget about
> finding this anywhere) on sale at $399.99. I could not find this on the
> Seiki web site. They have a 42" model though
> <http://www.seiki.com/content/42-se42um-led-ultra-hdtv>. It will do 60Hz via
> HDMI 3. I do not know any video cards that will do that.

Well given the latest standard is HDMI 2.0 with 2.1 under development,
I suspect HDMI 3 is a typo that should have been HDMI 2.  Would make
sense since HDMI 2 is in fact what allowed 4k at 60Hz.

If you have displayport 1.2, it seems this might work:
http://www.accellcables.com/collections/adapters/products/displayport-1-2-to-hdmi-2-0-adapter

Or find a card with HDMI 2.0 support already.

--
Len Sorensen