[GTALUG] Cheap 4k TV That Can be Used as a Monitor

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com
Thu Jun 23 21:03:22 EDT 2016

Hello All,

The Canadian Tire flyer has a 43" Seiki 4k UltraHD Smart TV (while
quantities last - sorry no rainchecks, which usually means, forget about
finding this anywhere) on sale at $399.99. I could not find this on the
Seiki web site. They have a 42" model though
<http://www.seiki.com/content/42-se42um-led-ultra-hdtv>. It will do 60Hz
via HDMI 3. I do not know any video cards that will do that.

Caveats

  * One year warranty. Who knows what their warranty support it like?
  * You will probably have to drive this at 30Hz. Hugh has a 39" Seiki
    that he drives at 30Hz. I do not think he finds the mouse lag
    objectionable.
  * The picture on the CT flyer is similar to the one on the Seiki web
    site but it is not identical. That and the 42" vs 43" discrepancy
    suggests the one at CT is different.
  * The legs on both models look just like the crappy Wasabi Mango
    monitor that I talked about a few weeks ago. LG uses the same legs.
    The 42" TV on the web site looks identical to the crappy Wasabi
    Mango. (Keyword frequency is important for search engine optimization.)

--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay

+ 1 647-778-8696