[GTALUG] We are having DMARC/DKIM troubles ...

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sat Jun 11 13:39:25 EDT 2016

Stewart wrote:
> The reason given by Yahoo is this:
>
> https://help.yahoo.com/kb/postmaster/SLN7253.html

That's got it completely backwards. For a mailing list the "Sender" is
the list address, "From" is the person who actually wrote the
message[1]. And if "Reply-to" munging must be done, then common (bad)
practice is to set it to the list address.

I wouldn't take any pains to accommodate such a badly broken mail
provider, especially on a technical list like this where people
understand the problem.

I run a number of mailing lists, and on the non-technical lists I do
mung "Reply-to" to the list address because the subscribers to those
lists expect that behaviour. My preference is to mung "Reply-to" only
when the message author has not explicitly set it, respecting the
author's intent. As far as I know, only Listserv can do this. Sadly,
neither Mailman nor Mercury Mail have that degree of finesse.

I'm sure everyone has seen this and the posts leading up to it:
http://marc.merlins.org/netrants/reply-to-still-harmful.html

- --Bob.

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322#section-3.6.2

- --