[GTALUG] We are having DMARC/DKIM troubles ...

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 14:22:02 EDT 2016

On 2016-06-11 01:39 PM, Bob Jonkman wrote:

>> https://help.yahoo.com/kb/postmaster/SLN7253.html
>
> That's got it completely backwards. For a mailing list the "Sender" is
> the list address, "From" is the person who actually wrote the
> message

SPF/DKIM has an RFC too now (7489), so if the two are at cross-purposes,
someone wasn't thinking straight.

> I wouldn't take any pains to accommodate such a badly broken mail
> provider, especially on a technical list like this where people
> understand the problem.

Several of this list's more technical and frequent posters were kicked
off by Yahoo's action. One should not have to run one's own mail server
in order to participate here.

> I'm sure everyone has seen this and the posts leading up to it:
> http://marc.merlins.org/netrants/reply-to-still-harmful.html

That was originally written years ago, back when spam was almost
nonexistant. E-mail has changed a lot over the years, and will keep
changing.

cheers,
 Stewart