[GTALUG] VOIP setup

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Mon Jan 4 15:58:04 UTC 2016

Tim Tisdall wrote:
> You just dial the extension you set up

Well, that was easy.  Just surprised the heck out of my wife, who
didn't believe the caller ID she saw on the phone...

But the call from downstairs in Elmira to upstairs in Elmira gets
routed through Toronto. That's kinda strange (and unwanted), but I'll
fix that when I install an Asterisk or equivalent.

Thanx, Tim!

> Any way, I discovered that voip.ms says you aren't supposed to be
> charged for voip.ms to voip.ms calls even if you use the external
> phone number. (though, I haven't tested it out)

Yup, works for me. I can make calls using the regular DID phone number
for the various voip.ms accounts I manage, and the charge is always 0.
That was an unexpected bonus!

Does anyone know if the Toronto Asterisk Users Group is still meeting?
http://taug.ca/ seems to be down...

- --Bob.