[GTALUG] (question) TP-Link TL-WR802N 300Mbps Wireless-N Nano Router

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Tue Aug 16 20:54:33 EDT 2016

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 12:21:47PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen via talk wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 12:15:52PM -0400, James Knott via talk wrote:
> > FWIW, I run Windows 10 in a VirtualBox virtual machine on Linux, with my
> > ThinkPad.  I run the VM in bridge mode, not NAT.  It gets it's own DHCP
> > IPv4 address, along with SLAAC addresses on IPv6.  I even have an
> > assigned IPv4 address for it's MAC in my DHCP server.  It all works
> > well.  This is with my TP-Link TL-WA901ND access point.  It also works
> > with my D-Link DAP-1350 and Asus WL-330gE portable access points.
> >
> > So, via WiFi, no matter which access point I use, Linux gets an address
> > of 172.16.1.40 and the W10 VM gets 172.16.1.41, as configured in the
> > DHCP server.  I get full connectivity on both IPv4 and IPv6 through the
> > single WiFi connection.
>
> That's interesting.
>
> Does virtualbox use the same MAC as the host system, or it's own MAC?
> That would make a difference I would think.

VirtualBox uses different MAC for VMs, and those can be found in
    Network -> Adapter 1 -> Advanced -> MAC Address

Just above that, there is
    Network -> Adapter 1 -> Name
where you can choose host's real port(ie. wlan0 or eth1) to attach to.

> Which wifi adapter is in that machine?
>
> Certainly doing it in linux with brctl and kvm does not work.

Actually, I got "QEMU Bridge" working, but never used it much.  You have
to give different MAC to each image running; otherwise, they all run
with the same default MAC.

VirtualBox is just three mouse click!
    Network (click 1)
	-> Attached to -> Briged Adapter (click 2)
        -> Name -> wlan0 (click 3)
--
William