[GTALUG] (question) TP-Link TL-WR802N 300Mbps Wireless-N Nano Router

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 16:18:10 EDT 2016

On 16 August 2016 at 15:35, James Knott via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> On 08/16/2016 01:57 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>> It could.  DHCP servers are allowed to use more than one parameter,
>> such as mac, hostname, etc.  It could cause trouble with many dhcp
>> servers though.
>
> I'm using the DHCP server in my pfSense firewall.  The only identifier
> is the MAC address.

I'm not sure what DHCP implementation that uses; it might be something
less featureful than ISC DHCPD, maybe?  Or perhaps the configuration
tool doesn't manage everything supported in RFC 2132?

When I tossed my Pine64 single board machine onto my LAN, when it
negotiated with ISC DHCPD, I could see in my logs that it reported in
as being "pine64".   Presumably that's part of one of the further
extensions (e.g. - transmitting more than merely the MAC address).