[GTALUG] distro support for 32-bit UEFI

Scott Sullivan scott at ss.org
Tue Apr 12 16:07:12 UTC 2016

On April 12, 2016 3:04:59 PM EDT, "D. Hugh Redelmeier" <hugh at mimosa.com> wrote:
>| From: Scott Sullivan <scott at ss.org>
>|
>| Using the 8.4.0 stable multi-arch DVD, I was able to get a clean
>install on
>| first of my baytrail devices that I tried. It did not find my SDIO
>wireless
>| card, but I expected to have to fight with that.
>
>Great news!
>
>Is this what you used?
><http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.4.0/multi-arch/iso-dvd/debian-8.4.0-i386-amd64-source-DVD-1.iso>

Just checked, that is the one.

>If it is multiarch install, why does it have "source" in its name?

Can't tell from the website, but maybe this dvd also has the source packages?

>Does it really support exactly two architectures, i386 and AMD64?
>
>Can this image be dd'ed to a USB stick and booted from that?  The
>documentation sys that is possible for i386 and AMD64, but does not
>mention multiarch.

That's what I did and the procedure listed in the installation guide.

At the boot menu I selected 64bit graphical install. At the boot loader install I witnessed it installing the needed 32bit uefi grub binaries.

This was the expected result based on the docs.
https://wiki.debian.org/UEFI#A32-bit_x86_PC_.28i386.29_support_for_UEFI

>I hope you come to dinner so I can get you to show me on one of my
>computers.

See ya there!

>---
>Talk Mailing List