[GTALUG] distro support for 32-bit UEFI

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Apr 12 16:10:11 UTC 2016

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 03:04:59PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> Great news!
>
> Is this what you used?
> <http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.4.0/multi-arch/iso-dvd/debian-8.4.0-i386-amd64-source-DVD-1.iso>
>
> If it is multiarch install, why does it have "source" in its name?

That one might do the job, but I always use the much smaller netinst image.

The one you found will do a pretty standard base install on i386 or
amd64 and also includes the source code for all the packages it includes.

> Does it really support exactly two architectures, i386 and AMD64?
>
> Can this image be dd'ed to a USB stick and booted from that?  The
> documentation sys that is possible for i386 and AMD64, but does not
> mention multiarch.
>
> I hope you come to dinner so I can get you to show me on one of my computers.

I always use this one:

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.4.0/multi-arch/iso-cd/debian-8.4.0-amd64-i386-netinst.iso

I have certainly used that before to install 64 bit debian on a 32 bit
UEFI system.

That one can certainly be dd'd onto a USB key.  I believe almost all
debian installer iso files can.

According to https://wiki.debian.org/UEFI:

"Debian Jessie (8.0) was the first Linux distribution to include full
support for mixed-mode UEFI installation on these machines. The multi-arch
installation media (available in netinst and DVD form) include the
UEFI boot loaders neceesary for both i386 and amd64 boot. By selecting
"64-bit install" from the initial boot menu, debian-installer will
install a 64-bit (amd64) version of Debian. The system will automatically
detect that the underlying UEFI firmware is 32-bit and will install the
appropriate version of grub-efi to work with it."

--
Len Sorensen