[GTALUG] ​Microsoft and Canonical partner to bring Ubuntu to Windows 10 | ZDNet

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Sat Apr 2 07:02:59 UTC 2016

On 1 April 2016 at 03:39, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh at mimosa.com> wrote:

> If you really want linux on Windows, I would guess virtualbox or the
> like would do a better job.
>
> If you want command-line tools to muck within the Windows environment,
> cygwin probably does the job as well.

​Why would you assume these things, not having actually compared them?

If the new facility allows native execution of Ubuntu binaries, wouldn't a
cross-platform developer prefer having exactly the same shell? Is cygwin
100% in feature sync with bash?​

​While I can think of many reasons why to continue to prefer Linux as the
underlying OS unless absolutely necessary​, IMO this move is significant
for anyone who has to frequently work in both worlds.

It also confirms the altogether reasonable joint admissions by Microsoft
and Canonical that:

   - The FOSS desktop as we know it (X, GNOME/KDE/XFCE etc) is as
   mainstream now as it will ever be, meaning "not much" (though semi-FOSS
   mutations such as MacOS, Android and ChromeOS have certainly done well for
   themselves)

   - Microsoft is a non-player in running the cloud, and if Windows wants
   to stay relevant it must play friendly with the OS that is dominant in that
   space at a level it has never done before.

​It's reasonable to disagree with these premises, many FOSS enthusiasts
certainly will.​ But I think they're valid. This move is part of a
realization that the desktop is on the decline and will eventually devolve
into niches for administration, development, and creation. It's an attempt
to keep it relevant in the first two areas (IMO it has ceded the third to
Apple).

I see how Windows10 snoops on its users and I dislike Metro as a desktop
interface -- so I could never use it as a daily platform, I'm not ditching
my Mint desktop so long as the hardware allows it.

PS: Windows' not running X is IMO a feature, not a bug. For decades, X has
been an impediment to mainstream adoption, and is always many steps behind
the state of the tech in proprietary display systems. To this day this
means that I can have hardware graphics acceleration under Windows but not
Linux -- a significant degradation, until some future kernel or X supports
it (maybe). That lag is not compelling enough to lead to a switch away from
Linux, but let's not delude ourselves that the choice of a FOSS desktop is
not without sacrifice.

--
Evan Leibovitch
Geneva, CH