[GTALUG] MP BIOS Toshiba - semi revival

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Mar 20 14:09:04 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 07:34:35AM -0400, R. Russell Reiter wrote:
> You might find this interesting. It is Yale U announcing VLIW  reasoning in the 80's. More work with less iron and from my perspective, instructions ordered at compile time makes for fewer clocking issues.

Yes it does.  Hence why VLIW is working great in DSPs where you know
exactly what you will be doing all the time at compile time.  In general
purpose software on the other hand you don't know at compile time, and
the compiler can not generate efficient code for VLIW and ends up rarely
generating more than one instruction per VLIW, while a more complex CPU
design (like most of the ones people actually buy and use) that do run
time instruction reordering are able to actually use multiple execution
units per clock cycle.

So yes VLIW is more efficient if you order the instructions at compile
time.  Too bad in reality that has turned out to be impossible in the
general case.  Makes wonderful DSP/GPU/other stream processing chips
though.

--
Len Sorensen