[GTALUG] MP BIOS Toshiba - semi revival

R. Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 11:34:35 UTC 2015

On March 19, 2015 10:14:33 AM EDT, Loui Chang <louipc.ist at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Tue 17 Mar 2015 11:37 -0400, Russell Reiter wrote:
>> I believe that Debian has moved towards implement Dependency Based
>Booting
>> with an eye to, at sometime in the future, compiling the OS each time
>at
>> runtime.
>
>I have contemplated the possibility of something like this with the
>increased
>adoption of continuous integration, except recompiles and reboots would
>be
>a lot more frequent. This would only really be used for automated build
>and
>test systems though, not for general use.

You might find this interesting. It is Yale U announcing VLIW  reasoning in the 80's. More work with less iron and from my perspective, instructions ordered at compile time makes for fewer clocking issues.

At the moment the stumbling blocks appears to be the lack of a robust memory subsystem and flakieness in ram which seem to be due to the limitations in current nano-manufacturing techniques used for ram chipsets. Notwithstanding my complaints about dirty AC's involvement in bit flipping.

http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=800046.801649

>---
>Talk Mailing List
>talk at gtalug.org