[GTALUG] war story: creating Raspberry Pi 2 boot card

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sun Mar 8 21:22:23 UTC 2015

| From: Evan Leibovitch <evan at telly.org>

| When creating a system for the RP I have had a 100% success rate with
| the GTK-based
| Startup Disk Creator
| <https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/usb-creator-gtk/> under Ubuntu.

That's interesting.  I've avoided it since it does not treat the image
as a black-box and I haven't put the effort in to understand the
restrictions.  It does say on that page that it is for Debian-based
OSes (if I remember correctly, it failed when I tried it on Fedora; I
don't think that it warned me that it had failed).

| 'dd' has worked for me but I recall having to use some non-default block
| settings. One article suggests "bs=1m" as an arg to dd.

I think that is only for speed.  The Raspberry Pi foundation
recommends bs=4M.  It's all superstion since it is going through the
buffer cache.