[GTALUG] war story: creating Raspberry Pi 2 boot card

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sun Mar 8 21:13:48 UTC 2015

| From: Daniel Wayne Armstrong <daniel at circuidipity.com>

| I created an Ubuntu 14.04 boot image for the Pi 2 using (new to me)
| *bmap-tools*.

Using bmap-tools makes sense if you are handed a .bmap file.
Apparently one was supplied in 2015-02-19-ubuntu-trusty.zip.

The file 2015-02-19-ubuntu-trusty.img contained in the .zip
originally had holes but these disappeared through the zipping.

Neither NOOBS_v1_4_0.zip nor 2015-02-16-raspbian-wheezy.zip contain a
.bmap file.  It would be good if they did, assuming that there were
significant holes.  Oh, and assuming that bytes corresponding to holes
need not be zeroed -- raw disks don't notionally have holes.

| My notes for writing to microSD and setting up root to run
| from an external USD hard drive:
|
| http://www.circuidipity.com/run-a-raspberry-pi-2-from-external-usb-storage.html

Thanks for these!