Any recommended small cheap tablets? Approx 6 or 7 inches.

Peter King peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 19 14:58:23 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 10:28:40AM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:

>   I checked the Nexus at TigerDirect's web page.  It's $249 with 32 gigs
> of storage, but apparently has only a front-facing camera.  For the same
> price, Asus has an 8" unit with 1.2 mp front and 5 mp rear cameras.  I'm
> willing to pay extra to bump up the storage, but I do want the camera.
> The Nexus ad mentions 4G (cellular?) but I don't need it.  The Nexus has
> v4.1 Android, and the Asus 8" hs v4.2.  BTW, Asus actually manufactures
> both tablets.  Both have 1280x800 screens.

You may have gotten the specs for the older version of the Nexus 7; you want
to check out the so-called "second generation" (2013) release.  I have that
one, and it has a 1900x1200 screen, a front-facing 1.2mp camera and a rear-
facing 5.0mp camera, optional G4 cellular connectivity (costs more and I do
not have it), and currently it's running Android 4.4.4 which is, I believe,
the current release.  Cost is about $270 CAN but can be found cheaper here
and there.  It is, as you note, manufactured by Asus.

I don't use the camera much, but it makes a great ereader (I replaced my
Kobo with it) and a very capable tablet: streams Netflix fine, with the
quad-core Snapdragon it's fast and responsive.  The only real downside is
that the storage isn't expandable.  You can plug in a USB device to be read
as a media source, but not as general storage, which is annoying.

Peter King			 	peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Department of Philosophy
170 St. George Street #521
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-4951 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5R 2M8
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/