Any recommended small cheap tablets? Approx 6 or 7 inches.

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 19 14:28:40 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 07:36:59AM -0400, James Knott wrote
> On 07/18/2014 11:14 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
> >   I'm not looking to replace my desktop or cellphone.  I'm more
> > interested in something that I can carry around to use as a...
> > * camera (movies+stills)
> > * wifi web browsing
> > * e-reader
> > * jotting down small notes
> >

> I have a Google Nexus 7 that works well.  One thing to bear in mind
> about "cheap" is you only get what you pay.

  When I said "cheap", I meant relative to $600 "iToys".

  I checked the Nexus at TigerDirect's web page.  It's $249 with 32 gigs
of storage, but apparently has only a front-facing camera.  For the same
price, Asus has an 8" unit with 1.2 mp front and 5 mp rear cameras.  I'm
willing to pay extra to bump up the storage, but I do want the camera.
The Nexus ad mentions 4G (cellular?) but I don't need it.  The Nexus has
v4.1 Android, and the Asus 8" hs v4.2.  BTW, Asus actually manufactures
both tablets.  Both have 1280x800 screens.

  In terms of feature sets, the Asus 8" model is a better fit for me.
The only negative is that the Nexus has a couple of standard USB 3
ports, while the Asus 8" ad only mentions micro-USB.  But I already have
a couple of micro-USB adaptors, so that's not an issue.