Linus Torvalds discussing source control programs and GIT

Ben Walton bdwalton-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 21 04:07:44 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 11:01 AM, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 1:17 PM, Ben Walton <bdwalton-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>
>> I'd be surprised if it is still runnable without a containerized OS in
>> that time window. 10-20 years in this game is an eternity...
>>

> Indeed.  The "good" news is that, as a system deployed late enough in time
> that we already have "containerization", it's plausible to containerize it
> so that you could indeed keep it running for a goodly long period of time.

I think it's also important to distinguish the difference between
runable and usable. Being able to run it doesn't mean you can use it
with other people. It might be good for inspecting the history of an
old project, but if you need to fire up some ancient version of
windows (or whatever) to run it, that makes it pretty tough to
collaborate with other people. They'd look at you like you asked them
to use CVS. :)

Thanks
-Ben
Take the risk of thinking for yourself.  Much more happiness,
truth, beauty and wisdom will come to you that way.

-Christopher Hitchens