Linus Torvalds discussing source control programs and GIT

Ben Walton bdwalton-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 19 18:02:33 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 11:46 PM, ted leslie <ted.leslie-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> You should check out PlasticSCM it makes GIT and Mercurial just seem out
> dated and underpowered, but that is for good reason, they make sure they
> take any good feature anyone has and grab it into their. Easiest SCM to use
> to boot.
> Works on Linux, Win, OSX, Unix's
> Its actually painful, because once you use it, and then inevitably you have
> to go back to git for something,
> because your into a project that uses it, and man its so depressing.
> Its gui pipes through command line (and accessible api) but the GUI is just
> sooooo nice. Can backend via mysql, etc.
> Don't go near it if you don't want to be blown away with pure SCM goodness.

> Also, I can't recall the argument, but GIT isn't a real dvcs like plastic
> is, but you will have to read their faq to understand their argument.

I think it runs along the lines of "git is a content addressable
filesystem with version control built on top." I'm not sure if that's
entirely fair, but it's not unfair, either. It's pointing out that the
powerful version control features rely on the underlying data storage
format being very awesome, but as they were developed together, I
don't think it's quite right to phrase it that way unless you're
trying to make a specific point.

> Plastics really the only game in town.

The licensing looks a little off-putting, if you ask me. BitKeeper all
over again?

> SVN is never the right choice.

Fwiw, I complete agree here.