Linus Torvalds discussing source control programs and GIT

Stewart C. Russell scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 21 00:52:50 UTC 2014

On 14-01-20 02:01 PM, Christopher Browne wrote:

> … I'll bet nobody could readily get the
> binaries running unless they have an exactly suitable InfoMagic CD set
> from the 1990s :-).

Only half-jokingly: has someone maintained an archive of these? Because
if you did have to resurrect mid-90s software, they would be excellent
archival sources. I'm not saying there are many people who'd need to run
an a.out-based Linux (kernel version < 1.2, for those lucky enough not
to remember this transition), but those who need it would need it a lot.

Software rots terribly, and takes data with it: the model spreadsheets
for my MSc thesis are in an unreadable form, and it's from 1993. The
thesis itself is fine, in LaTeX. The good thing is, it was barely worth
reading in '93, so it's no loss.

On the other hand, a friend makes decent money developing data workflows
that rely on IBM VMs. He processes modern data through hoary old (but
tested, and long ago paid-for) COBOL routines. His costs are so low per
job that his group routinely undercuts huge offshore IT companies.

cheers,
 Stewart