Thanks for the feedback on Yahoo in Canada right now...

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 17 16:20:30 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 11:56 AM, CLIFFORD ILKAY <clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
> wrote:

> On 04/17/2014 10:01 AM, David Collier-Brown wrote:
> > ... The next step is to figure out what to do about it.
>
> How about ditching Yahoo? Both Yahoo and Hotmail/MSN/Live and any ISP
> that uses them in the background are huge pains for e-commerce systems
> that rely on sending confirmation links to users. More often than not,
> those emails will either get misclassified as junk or never get
> delivered at all. Recently, I was speaking with someone who hadn't
> received an email I'd sent to his Sympatico (Microsoft backed). He asked
> me to send it again and he didn't receive it. He said he has a Gmail
> address so I sent the same email to both his Sympatico and his Gmail
> account. He got it immediately at his Gmail account. It never reached
> his Sympatico account. It's nowhere to be found and it's not in his junk
> or inbox folders. He realized then that he's probably been missing
> important emails from people for years and he switched to Gmail. I'm not
> advocating for Gmail, though it's a perfectly capable mail system. I'm
> just saying that in the universe of possibilities, Yahoo and Microsoft's
> various free email offerings are the worst possible choices.

Agreed.

One way to regard this is to consider the change to be "censorship", and,
to some degree, a matter of "human rights" warranting protest.  I don't
think that is well-representative of what's up at Yahoo!, since censorship
is usually expected to involve the suppression of speech by a governmental
organization.  Yahoo! is a company operating in a foreign country, not a
governing organization.

Another view (less than "censorship") might be to consider this to be a
form of "editorial selection", though I think that overstates the amount of
intentionality involved.

I'll quote from Jan Wieck on this from another list which has been
discussing this from a more purely practical perspective.

"One aspect of the whole thing is that the DMARC proposal is two years
old and it was well known that this (breaking mailing lists) would be a
side effect of it. The powers that be at Yahoo! went ahead with it
anyways. This can mean only one thing. That Yahoo! does not want users
with a @yahoo.com address to participate in third party mailing lists.
If that is what they want, then that is what they should get."

A consequence of this is that Yahoo! will lose some paying users.  (Jan
was, until quite recently, one such.)

For those that have been paying users, this is providing a compelling
reason to shift to some more satisfactory service provider.  For those that
haven't been paying, well, your service exists at the sufferance of a
company whose finances I can't properly comprehend.  Doesn't seem like
something worth depending on to me.  (In contrast, I understand how Google
can get value from its free service offerings.)

FYI, there is a relevant GTALUG practicality; we probably need to block
subscribers "@yahoo.com" from posting to this list, as the DMARC
configuration will mean that mail from those subscribers is liable to cause
us problems by virtue of bouncing around with the risk of encouraging mail
routers to block US, which is distinctly undesirable.