Interested in ereaders

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 19 18:36:41 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 12:35 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> | From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>
>
> | The audio part is really really pointless.  In fact sony dropped audio
> | support from their newer models because an ereader makes a lousy mp3
> | player and it is a waste of the ereaders battery.  A dedicated mp3 player
> | is way better at it, more efficient, has a better UI for audio playack,
> | and is a lot smaller.
>
> So folks (naturally) want to carry as few things as possible.  Now
> that I'm starting to carry a smart phone, I'm running out of pockets.
> So I have to decide whether to drop my Swiss Army knife or my MP3
> player.  Things are a little better now that the weather has cooled
> off: more pockets.
<snip>
> All these tradeoffs are non-obvious and very particular.  Hard to
> theorize what would work for and sell to the masses.

Thinking out loud...

A thick-ish pocket-size notebook with a flip open cover and colour
e-paper. Use the available depth to hold the electronics and for
keeping bluetooth earbuds in storage - similar in concept to a book
safe.

Use Linux & FOSS, preferably on Open Hardware.  Most importantly
though, let users customize their covers (also e-paper).

--
  Scott Elcomb
  @psema4 on Twitter / Identi.ca / Github & more

  Atomic OS: Self Contained Microsystems