customizing FireFox [was GeeNifty: Override Firefox's Newtab page for a custom page.]

Molly Tournquist mollytournquist-ifvz4xmYPRU at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 3 22:55:37 UTC 2013

On 10/02/13 08:58 PM, Glen Strom <gstrom57-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>  wrote:

> It sounds like you might want an extension called Speed Dial.
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/speed-dial/

Considering such a pluging as comparable with a custom-written start page would be inappropriate. A custom start page would have the advantages of remaining if you switch browsers, being able to be shared if you're using multiple browsers, or between multiple OSes or users, or be copied to a portable device, with or without adjustments or even onto a liveCD.

And that is a topic that's hard to find much stuff on, everyone wants to offer you a special start page that's stored somewhere online and those types of things.

On 10/03/13 01:19 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> When browsing, I often use the spacebar to page down (a larger target
> than the Page Up key. I recently discovered that shift-space does a
> page up. I never would have guessed since I'm conditioned to think
> space and shift-space are the same character.

I personally don't like the spacebar, it's *too* big, and wobbly. I would prefer something like a japanese keyboard with it split up for extra functions. But damn straight about pageup and pagedown, they're awfully small, AND in a lousy location; pageleft and pageright are even worse in those regards!