Digital photo de-noising software suggestions?

Stewart C. Russell scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu May 9 02:56:15 UTC 2013

On 13-05-07 11:11 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
>   Linux-based of course.  I currently have rawtherapee, imagemagick,
> ufraw, gimp, and gmic on my disk

G'MIC - formerly GRAYCstoration - is the totally overkill plugin for
noise reduction under Gimp. It will do what you want, but is very fiddly
to find all the settings you need.

> A Google search turns up technical
> discussions about "radius" of smoothing, which I don't understand.

The larger the radius, the more pixels are integrated into forming the
result pixels. Larger radii tend to smoosh out detail, but can have a
pleasing effect on noise reduction.

I'm not sure how really raw the raw files from the S100 are. I think
they might be raw sensor dumps. Some cameras (notably some Nikon DSLRs)
cheap out and compress CCD levels onto a curve, so you can never get
really raw sensor data from them. Unless you're Steve Mann, of course,
and get to poke at the camera firmware with a sharp stick ...

 Stewart