press on or go back?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri May 3 18:09:34 UTC 2013

| From: John Martin <martjh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| My cards are (apparently):
|
| johnm at woll07 ~ $ lspci -v | grep -A 6 Audio
| 00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00
| Azalia (Intel HDA)
| 	Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Device a002
| 	Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 32, IRQ 16
| 	Memory at fe024000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
| 	Capabilities: <access denied>
| 	Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
|
| --
| 01:05.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS780 HDMI
| Audio [Radeon HD 3000-3300 Series]
| 	Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS780 HDMI Audio
| [Radeon HD 3000-3300 Series]
| 	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19
| 	Memory at fdafc000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
| 	Capabilities: <access denied>
| 	Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
|
| I'm less interested in the second - not connecting to anything HDMI.

Is there a chance that your Pulse Audio sound is routed to the video
card's sound device rather than the motherboard's?

I happen to be using KDE under Fedora 18 at the moment, so my
situation isn't the same, but KMix "Select Master Channel" gives me
Radio buttons to select either "HDA ATI HDMI Digital Stereo (HDMI)" or
"Built-in Audio Analog Stereo".

(I normally use Gnome but it isn't stable due to a set of bugs in code
that is beyond my ken.  They actually affect KDE too, but less
frequently.  The bugs are upstream of Fedora.)