press on or go back?

John Martin martjh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu May 2 23:18:34 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 3:32 PM, ted leslie <ted.leslie-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I think when people talk about mint, they really need to specify mint-ubuntu
> or mint-debian.

Ted,

Definitely Linux Mint Debian Edition Cinnamon here.

Windows 7 sound works. Ubuntu 12.04 LTS from LiveCD sound works. Linux
Mint Cinnamon 14.1 from LiveCD sound works. (All on the same
hardware.) So obvious issues like connections are out.

> [. . .] For sound debugging:
> make sure you have your volumes appropriate for the input and the master.
> There are options to make sure you switch to the desired type of input.

That seems to be OK.

> Check your dmesg.

Did that. Don't know what I'm looking for!

> ps ax | grep pulse - is it running?

johnm at woll07 ~ $ ps ax | grep pulse
 3639 ?        S<l    0:04 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --start --log-target=syslog
 3733 ?        S      0:00 /usr/lib/pulseaudio/pulse/gconf-helper
 4618 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep --colour=auto pulse

Also shows in top.

> In my experience over the years, I agree, usually works, or doesn't, and
> when it doesn't you usually find google info about card model specific
> issues.

My cards are (apparently):

johnm at woll07 ~ $ lspci -v | grep -A 6 Audio
00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00
Azalia (Intel HDA)
	Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Device a002
	Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 32, IRQ 16
	Memory at fe024000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

--
01:05.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS780 HDMI
Audio [Radeon HD 3000-3300 Series]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

I'm less interested in the second - not connecting to anything HDMI.

> [. . .] I went into package management and selected "paman"  and that gives me
> the pulse manager. You may want to install that to help see at what level
> the issue is occurring. I have had in the past issue ranging from simply having the
> sound output in the wrong connector, to simply problematic card drivers.

paman now installed. When I run the PulseAudio Volume Meter I can see
sound happening when I go to a web radio station. Don't know what I'm
looking for in the PulseAudio Manager. I also see a PulseAudio plugin
in the Sound window that came installed. Still hearing nothing.

We can move this debugging stuff to another thread. I take heart from
Lennart's "Why isn't this the place for that?"

Thanks.

John