Cutting the Cord Part 2: The Waiting

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Wed May 1 15:16:48 UTC 2013

Thanks for the feedback.

The router I was using (to give NAT, DHCP and basic firewall) was also the
cablemodem, an SMC unit rented from
Rogers<http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=viewProduct&localeCode=EN_USA&cid=2&scid=19&pid=1680>and
going back. I do have an older openWRT-capable piece of surplus that I
could put into use as a router, but was hoping not to need that.

I had already planned to turn the Sagemcom's wifi off, I have an access
point elsewhere. And I have no need for the USB ports. But are you saying
that it can't even do the basics (DHCP, NAT, standard firewalls) OK? All i
really need for a firewall is block everything but forward a few specific
incoming ports to one of the machines on the network.

In some of the TekSavvy forums I've been reading that when using the
Sagemcom in pass-though (they called it bridged) there was a significant
performance hit, that it can't be easily configured to get out of the way.

--
Evan Leibovitch
Toronto Canada

Em: evan at telly dot org