Cutting the Cord Part 2: The Waiting

Paul Mora paul-HzDep54A8sA at public.gmane.org
Wed May 1 11:56:29 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 4:37 PM, Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

My FTTN modem/router has arrived. They refused to deliver it to the door,
> it had to be picked up at a post office of my choosing. It's a Sagemcom
> 2864, plastered all over with Bell branding; it's apparently called the
> Bell "Connection Hub". Too-sparse manuals included, awaiting the Bell tech
> setup next week. Given that I'm going from Cable to DSL I have the luxury
> of a two week transition period of having both Internets up.

One word of advise about the Sagemcom 2864. It works not only as your modem
but also has a GB switch and USB ports that can share printers and disks on
your network. It even has UPNP built in, so you could share media to your
TV or other devices. But the firmware is crap; there's no decent
firewalling in it, other than port forwarding. And, I'm told, the wireless
in it (it does wireless N) is also weak.

If you want to use the router you were using in your cable setup, you can
simply leave the modem at it's unconfigured factory defaults, and plug a
cable in from port LAN1 on the modem, to your WAN port on the router. Then
configure all the Teksavvy PPPOE stuff on the router. The modem will then
work in passthrough mode, and you'll have the same flexibility as before.

pm
--
*Paul Mora*
email: paul-HzDep54A8sA at public.gmane.org