Cutting the Cord Part 2: The Waiting

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed May 1 03:32:19 UTC 2013

| From: Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org>

Thanks for telling us about your research and experience.

| I've also taken a greater interest in OTA reception, and may even build my
| own antenna. It appears the homebuilds are cheap to do and generally out
| perform the commercial stuff, whether a big
| rig<http://www.digitalhome.ca/ota/superantenna/design.htm>or a little
| indoor job <http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=123803>. And
| (relevant here) the designs are GPL'd!

Gosh there's a lot to read.  Bottom line: is it easy to make those?

In the modern idiom TL;DR.  I'm not proud of that.

I'm currently interested in indoor.

It looks like you need these.  How are you sourcing them?

-  some kind of aluminum bar or wire (called 1/4"
   flat aluminum wire), 31".  1/4" by what?  Different
   aluminum alloys have quite different characteristics.

- some way of bending the wire (aluminum doesn't take a lot of
  bending, but I naively think that the bending required should be
  manageable.

- some way of fastening bits together.  Screws are mentioned.

- a Balun.  Is that like a 300 ohm twin-lead to 75 ohm coax thingee
  (of which I have a few left over from long ago)?

- some modest pole-like object.  Non-conductive might be best.  PVC
  pipe?

For outdoors: beware lightening.  I know, I said that before.