Recommended Linux Distribution for Current Mandriva 2011.0 User

Paul Tarvydas paultarvydas-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed May 1 02:10:42 UTC 2013

I used Mandrake/Mandriva for many years, as a "safe" replacement for
Windoze.  A desktop for S/W development.

I dumped Mandriva over a year ago.  I just couldn't handle the
continuous drama and lack of business acumen.

I didn't find another KDE distro that looked serious.

Tried Debian and Ubuntu.  Coming from a Mandriva mindset, they were
utterly horrible.  Just about everything was missing, wrt to a
reasonable desktop environment.

I'm now running Linux Mint (Cinnamon).  Thunderbird & Firefox (&
sometimes Chrome).  It's quite usable (as a desktop replacement), has
most of the stuff I want out of the box.  A little less thrilling that
Mandriva (but Mandriva is dead to me).  (Ubuntu is Debian, Mint is
Ubuntu with lots of stuff pre-installed).  Kmail uses a different (more
complex) format for mail than Thunderbird. Emacs + notmuch can recover
and search the Kmail formatted stuff.

I had to learn about "apt-get", but it wasn't all that hard.

Apparently, it is "good enough", because I haven't searched for another
distro for almost a year.

I will be most interested in your research for a suitable replacement...

pt