Recommended Linux Distribution for Current Mandriva 2011.0 User

ted leslie ted.leslie-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed May 1 01:57:05 UTC 2013

Recommendation of course being any persons personal recommendation of what
distro they like and works best for them ...
I have used redhat, suse, fedora, ubuntu, gentoo, and a few others, and was
happy with ubuntu a few of years ago, but when they started experimenting,
and
especially recent with doing the tablet UI thing, I bolted to linux mint,
the ubuntu addition, as did a lot of other people bolt off ubuntu to linux
mint ,
as mint is by far the most popular linux distro. But when ubuntu just got
scarier and scarier (and mint is based of ubuntu), and the mint boys
crafted that minty goodness into the
linux mint debian edition, I went to that, and since, haven't looked back.
My wife isn't a power linux user, but I even converted her ubuntu 12.x
vintage to LMDE
at the start of this year and she is loving it. LMDE is great because it
takes the most user friendly linux (mint) and pushes that onto a base  off
of pure debian goodness, to deliver
unmatched over all perfection = LMDE ... IMHO!. I run monodevelop on it
just fine, the latest version, and that is probably the most advanced IDE
for linux. Run
hdpvr, software raid, opera/firefox/chrome, dev. mono environment, banshee,
..... all works great. Also running a debian distro like LMDE also pays off
if you work on servers,
as ubuntu server is very popular on clouds.

-tl