Recommended Linux Distribution for Current Mandriva 2011.0 User

Brad Fonseca linuxbrad-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed May 1 01:32:34 UTC 2013

Hello,

I'm hoping the folks on this list might be able to help me with a
suggestion. I'm looking to move to a new Linux distribution.

I have been using the Mandriva distribution for a number years since it
was called Mandrake and it was in version 8.0. Recently, I have been
happily using Mandriva 2011.0 ("Hydrogen"). I just discovered that the
home user version of Mandriva (Mandriva Powerpack 20xx) is no longer
being supported or updated (my update manager is no longer receiving
updates) as it has reached its end of life. In addition, Mandriva has
taken the decision to focus on their corporate products and are no
longer producing a home version.

I have determined that there are a couple forks that have started since
the Open Mandriva (http://www.openmandriva.org), which just got started
earlier this year, and Mageia (http://www.mageia.org), which started in
September 2010 and has had two major releases.

Now that you have the background, I have a few questions that I'm hoping
to have answered:

1. What is this group's opinion of either Open Mandriva or Mageia? Would
it make sense to move to one of these distributions seeing as they are
forks of a distribution I am very familiar with?

2. If I wanted to try a new distribution what is the recommendation of
this group? I would like a distribution that will be the least
troublesome (e.g. stable) and will support the most peripherals. I use
Chrome as my browser so I don't expect too much issue there. I'm a hobby
coder so having access to a decent set of IDEs would be nice, especially
ones supporting Python. I currently use Dr. Python as I like the
interface and I'm really just trying to practise things I'm learning in
Python currently. Having an IDE that would support other programming
languages would be nice too. I'm used to using a "Package Manager" to
both update my system and add new applications so I would prefer to use
a distribution that provides this feature

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. I know the discussion
can get quite heated when it comes to favoured distributions. I hoping
that the suggestions put forward will take into account my few
requirements.

Thanks,

Brad
--