Fedora-18 -- how to install?

Mark Lane lmlane-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 3 14:48:11 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 5:29 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 07:24:08PM -0500, William Park wrote:
>> My God, what kind of incantation do I have to recite in order to install
>> Fedora-18?  I can't get past "partition selection".  Fedora-18's
>> partition selection is totally different from previous Fedora or any
>> other distro.
>>
>> Has anyone successfully installed Fedora-18?
>
> Well the one fedora fan at work installed fedora-18, then went looking
> for a new distribution and is now running mint.  Haven't convinced him
> to go debian yet, but at least he is on a .deb based system now that
> cares what the users want in a system. :)
>
> Fedora-18 seems to be having a lot of users going "WTF?" at it.
>
> So good luck.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen

If you use LVM it didn't seem to allow you to pick what drives certain
mount points were on. It just makes a JBOD out of the disks you pick.
I had an SSD and platter drive so I definitely want to choose where to
make mount points. So I just turned LVM off. LVM is nice if you need
to resize stuff later but otherwise really isn't needed. Another
option is to partition the drive before hand though I am not sure the
installer supports that.

The other issue I had though probably not unique to FC18, was
installing the fglrx drivers. I tried the prebuild modules from
rpmfusion but they didn't work so I installed the kernel source and
used the akmod-fglrx packages to rebuild the modules. That got video
working but broke my network adaptor. So I had to uninstall the
akmod-fglrx packages (they are only need to build the driver) just so
networking would work again. Don't ask me how rpmfusion messed up
packages for building modules so much that networking didn't work. So
I have the fglrx drivers installed but the story doesn't end here.

I install catalyst so that I can setup my dual monitor. However
apparently fglrx Xinerama doesn't work with 3D acceleration so I had
to turn that off and use xrandr to configure my dual monitors.

It didn't stop there. I have steam installed and wanted to try and run
Counter Strike on my new FC18 box. It claimed it couldn't find one of
the libgl files. After 2 hours of search, I found out that the problem
was I only installed the 64 bit version of libgl and it was looking
for the 32Bit version.

So I played for the better part of the day to get FC18 installed
properly and I'm a Linux Expert. We aren't going to get people to move
to Linux if it this complicated.

My current procedure for updating my kernel is:

1) Install new kernel and kernel sources
2) Reboot to boot to runlevel 3
3) Install akmod-fglrx
4) Rebuilt fglrx kernel modules
5) uninstall akmod-fglrx