Recommendations for a file upload page?

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 14 21:39:49 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 4:28 PM, Scott Sullivan <scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> So, we've all had that moment when we want to get a file from someone and
> it's just not easy. Either it's too big for email, or it's multiple files,
> or my IM client chokes on it. All sorts of things make it hard.
>
> I know some of you are web devs, what would you recommend for file
> uploading. Are there some well known projects that tackle just this issue?
> Do I have to roll my own?

A couple of years back I would've suggested rolling your own using
Perl[1] or PHP[2] with Apache but now I just do everything in JS[3]
(using node.js).  It's fairly straight-forward but if you need a hand,
hit me up off-list.

> I've not tackled this before I would love some pointers as to where to
> direct my energy.
>
> # Requirements
>
> - runs under Apache
<snip>
> What do you know is the barebones solution?

See [1], [2].  I've used file-upload libraries in the past that
support multiple simultaneous uploads and have fancy graphics but
can't recall their names at the moment.  To be honest, I'd rather
forget them (for various reasons but mostly for the configuration
nightmares.)

When I need file upload, I roll it myself unless instructed otherwise
(by a client)

> What all singing - all dancing solutions are there?

These are much closer to what I'm paying attention to these days,
based on WebRTC (possibly the best solution for the use-case
presented):

<https://github.com/peers/peerjs>
<https://github.com/ShareIt-project/ShareIt>

Some barebones file-upload examples (from Google results for "{{lang}}
file upload" - I haven't used these examples directly, but similar):

[1] <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7770176/perl-script-for-file-upload>
[2] <http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_file_upload.asp>
[3] <https://github.com/merty/simple-file-uploader>

Best,