$35 LAN Party...

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 3 02:33:04 UTC 2013

| From: Molly Tournquist <mollytournquist-ifvz4xmYPRU at public.gmane.org>

| Either in schools or outside. Schools are circusses anyway. Of course
| not by the early adopters.

I take it you are trying to be a bit controversial/confrontational
(without being wrong, just blunt).

Of course this is a little broken except in response to an earlier
message.  It would be a lot clearer if you didn't top-post.

| But regarding the LAN gaming prospects...

| But, to be very blunt, the core hassles are lugging in a monitor and
| keyboard for each player, but more importantly the monitors are also the
| majority of the component cost and also the most fragile. (space issues
| aside)

There are always a million reasons for not doing something.  So don't
do it.  Maybe Collin and a few others are willing to put the effort in
to have a different experience.

Me?  I'm lazy as a log.  There are a million things that I said made
no sense to me but still got done.

There is some fun in playing with toys.  In this case, I mean
undersized things that still manage to do cute stuff.  The Raspberry
Pis is such a qualifies.  I've already given away three for that
reason.  Not, not to help the recipients in school (two already have
PhDs).

I have to admit that I'm not a gamer.  The only game I got hooked on
was Captain Beeble for the Atari 8-bit computers (not the VCS).  Odd
fact: that Atari 600xl cost me about the same as the Raspberry Pi.  It
required a TV set too.  But maybe it isn't odd since the Raspberry Pi
designers were trying to capture the fun of their youth on a similar
computer of a similar vintage, the BBC Micro.