Does KDE really suck this much?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 29 01:16:09 UTC 2013

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 08:00:46AM -0500, Stewart C. Russell wrote
> On 13-12-27 05:52 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
> >
> >   Lately, the KDE developers have gone nuts with "Semantic Desktop",
> > where every file in your user directory is indexed in MySql.
>
> And a very good idea it is indeed. Why should I need to remember where
> everything is? Just hit the hotkey, start typing some search terms, and
> the desktop presents the files - be it a scanned utility bill, a
> spreadsheet, code, whatever.

  Constantly indexing all your files can slow your system down
dramatically.  I'm now retired, but back when I was working, I had to
put up with Windows.  One of the first things I did on getting a new
system or image was to turn off file indexing.  The machine was a lot
snappier with that 1 tweak.

  As for linux, I feel that the trade-off of running the occasional
"find" slows me down less than constantly running an indexer in the
background.  My files are organized in a logical directory structure, so
I generally know where a file about a particular item is located.  If I
threw everything into "My Files" then, yes, I would need a file
indexer/locater.