Does KDE really suck this much?

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 25 03:45:10 UTC 2013

On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 02:40:06PM +0000, Matt Price wrote:
> So, after a certain amount of work I have arch Linux installed on my new
> laptop. I thought I would give KDE a try, so installed the kde-meta package
> and booted up smoothly into KDE. It is so ugly! And its not at all obvious
> to me how to do most basic things. Has anyone made the switch from unity or
> gnome, and do you like it, and can you recommend some resources former
> beginners? I've been using Linux for a decade so don't need intros to
> basics, but the GUI really baffled me .l- I feel like my mother confronted
> with a new tablet. Never thought that would happen to me...

I'm running Slackware-14 and KDE-4.8.5.  Get rid of those funny icons
and menu that they put on your desktop initially.  Use the "taskbar" at
the bottom.  KDE icon is where Windows icon is and works like it.  When
KDE menu pops up, you'll see "Favourites", "Applications", "Computer",
"Last Used", and "Leave".  Of course, you'll be using "Favourites" most
of the time.

The menu is somewhat unusual.  It's not tiling or overlapping.  Instead,
where you are in the menu tree is shown at the top, like "directory".
The menu window itself is too small, so you get lost after few scrolls.
That's why you use "Favourites" section.
--
William