Does KDE really suck this much?

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 25 02:10:04 UTC 2013

On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 14:40:06 +0000
Matt Price <moptop99-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> So, after a certain amount of work I have arch Linux installed on my new
> laptop. I thought I would give KDE a try, so installed the kde-meta package
> and booted up smoothly into KDE. It is so ugly! And its not at all obvious
> to me how to do most basic things. Has anyone made the switch from unity or
> gnome, and do you like it, and can you recommend some resources former
> beginners? I've been using Linux for a decade so don't need intros to
> basics, but the GUI really baffled me .l- I feel like my mother confronted
> with a new tablet. Never thought that would happen to me...

Matt,

   I am not a big KDE fan either.  When I upgraded my Fedora machine to the latest version of Gnome, I checked out KDE, and generally got a positive impression.  The new(er) version was way faster than I recalled earlier.  I dont' know if this is improved programming, or a newer, faster machine.

   There was something at the top, right hand corner of my screen called a Toolbox.  This might be really nifty.

   In the end, I got my good ol' FVWM working.  A lot of this depends upon what you are used to.

   If I were talking to a Windows user interested in Linux, I would strongly recommend XFCE or LXDE.  These behave predictably to a Windows user.  I do not like eye candy GUIs.  There is room for only one resource pig on my computers.

   If you want a proper, secure login for your laptop, I strongly recommend KDM over GDM.  I could not get GDM to _not_ display usernames.  I keep my current install instructions up on my website...

   http://home.eol.ca/~hgibson/RevLinux/

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org