2.4GHz working, but 5GHz not working -- strange dmesg error

Bob Copeland bcopeland-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 13 01:55:59 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 4:10 PM, William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I tried 3.10 and 3.12 kernels (that I compiled myself) and other
> distros, and they are all having the same problem.  When attempt is made
> to connect 5GHz, I get:

I'm not too familiar with rt2x00 but I'd say your best bet is to ask
on the linux wireless mailing list (linux-wireless-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA at public.gmane.org --
you don't have to subscribe to send).  Stuff sent to lkml sometimes
gets lost in the flood.

>         WARNING: CPU: 0 PID: 2126 at /home/kernel/linux-3.12/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2x00config.c:201 rt2x00lib_config+0x293/0x2e0 [rt2x00lib]()

> Is this a sign that the card dying?

This warning seems to indicate that the configured channel is not
supported by the device, but the driver tells the upper layers the
supported channels, so it's more likely a kernel bug.  And, code in
this area was changed recent-ish when mac80211 was reworked for VHT
channel support (e.g. git show 675a0b049).  Since it used to work once
upon a time, git bisect might be an option if you feel like tracking
it down yourself.

--
Bob Copeland %% www.bobcopeland.com