Ubuntu Hour - Toronto

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 6 15:43:19 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 06:08:41PM -0500, Aruna Hewapathirane wrote:
> Randy,
>
> Here are some links that shed some light on the privacy issues. What scared
> me the most was the first link towards the bottom where they do have access
> to your credit card info and other sensitive info.
>
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/42234/how-much-do-canonical-track-ubuntu-one-users-behaviour
>
> http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/12/richard-stallman-calls-ubuntu-spyware-because-it-tracks-searches/
>
> http://www.fsf.org/blogs/rms/ubuntu-spyware-what-to-do
>
> Do keep an open mind though, Canonical has formed a partnership with Amazon
> that generates revenue for them which is a good thing that allows them to
> keep supporting FOSS that being said it should not be at the price of
> losing ones identity is all am saying ?

Debian manages to maintain a distribution without the need to do such
things to raise funds.  Ubuntu even benefits from lots of Debian's work,
yet Ubuntu thinks it needs to raise money through awful deals like that?

I do however promise NOT to show up to a Ubuntu event and point out all
the things that are terribly wrong with Ubuntu. :)

--
Len Sorensen