Ubuntu Hour - Toronto

Bob Jonkman bjonkman-w5ExpX8uLjYAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 6 05:57:07 UTC 2013

On 13-12-05 11:51 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
 > Is there any particular reason that being exclusively Ubuntu makes it
 > better?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: When I've organized or attended "Ubuntu Hours" there hasn't
actually been much emphasis on Ubuntu. And they're rarely only an hour.
At the Kitchener Ubuntu Hour tonight the talk was mostly about phones
and alternate operating systems like Replicant and Cyanogenmod, and
someone introduced me to Google Hangouts.

The intent of Ubuntu Hours is to get people together in a social
gathering, where technical chops are not the order of the day. But
Ubuntu Hours inevitably turn into technical discussions, technical
support, and technical presentations. That's just the fluid nature of
Ubuntu Hours.

One of the reasons for using Ubuntu Hours as the banner for Linux-y
social gatherings is that Ubuntu provides the tools to arrange meetings
and events through the Ubuntu-ca mailing list, Wiki and LoCo Events
portal. So they're not /exclusively/ Ubuntu, but they're better (ie.
easier to organize) thanks to the use of Ubuntu tools and resources.

--Bob.

Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CanadianTeam/
LoCo Portal: http://loco.ubuntu.com/teams/ubuntu-ca/