C integral types [was Re: Semi-OT: Why Kids Can't use Computers] (fwd)

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 18 16:42:53 UTC 2013

| From: James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>
|
| D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
| > My first VCR (~$1400!) could record 6 hours,
| > had extra heads with a different gap to record that in reasonable
| > quality, and recorded HiFi audio in the helically scanned signal.
| > Beta couldn't touch that at the time.  Of course each format
| > leap-frogged, until Beta stopped bothering.
|
| By the time HiFi audio was introduced, the "war" was already long won by
| VHS.  The essential factor for users was longer tape time (originally 1
| hour for Beta vs 2 for VHS.  The difference for manufacturers was the
| higher licence costs for Beta vs VHS.  So, we soon saw a lot more brands
| selling VHS than Beta.
|
| My first VCR was also $1400 and among the first of the 2nd generation
| that supported 6 hours and had electronic, rather than mechanical
| control.  However, it only had 2 heads, which were optimized for the 6
| hour mode.  There was a more expensive model that had 4 heads.  Of
| course, those recorders still used linear audio and the remotes were
| connected via a long cable.  The VCR could have up to 14 channels
| available, with thumb wheels used to tune in each of the 14 choices.

You are quite right.  I was conflating two memories.

My first VCR was a JVC HR-6700u.  Audio was in the linear track.  This
model came out a few months after the first VCRs with 6-hour mode
(RCA?).  It was the first 4-head model (two heads for 2-hour mode and
two heads for 6 hour mode; 4-hour mode worked but not as well).

It had a feature that I thought would be useful, but was horrible: it
could play back the recording at faster-than-realtime speeds and
adjust the pitch of the playback.  Unfortunately the resulting sound
was horrible.

It had mechanical keys and a wired remote.

If I remember correctly, this was in 1979 (I bought it through
a non-retail channel before CSA aproval (Hydro aproved)).

<http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-HR-6700U-Video-Cassette-Recorder-Catalog-Brochure-X-Rare-/261199679239?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3cd0b6cf07>