C integral types [was Re: Semi-OT: Why Kids Can't use Computers] (fwd)

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 18 15:25:25 UTC 2013

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> My first VCR (~$1400!) could record 6 hours,
> had extra heads with a different gap to record that in reasonable
> quality, and recorded HiFi audio in the helically scanned signal.
> Beta couldn't touch that at the time.  Of course each format
> leap-frogged, until Beta stopped bothering.

By the time HiFi audio was introduced, the "war" was already long won by
VHS.  The essential factor for users was longer tape time (originally 1
hour for Beta vs 2 for VHS.  The difference for manufacturers was the
higher licence costs for Beta vs VHS.  So, we soon saw a lot more brands
selling VHS than Beta.

My first VCR was also $1400 and among the first of the 2nd generation
that supported 6 hours and had electronic, rather than mechanical
control.  However, it only had 2 heads, which were optimized for the 6
hour mode.  There was a more expensive model that had 4 heads.  Of
course, those recorders still used linear audio and the remotes were
connected via a long cable.  The VCR could have up to 14 channels
available, with thumb wheels used to tune in each of the 14 choices.